Small Changes Make A Big Difference
Begin the day right. Check today’s air quality forecast and modify your plans if unhealthy air quality is predicted. Protect yourself and others in your care, by taking the appropriate actions. Making small changes in your lifestyle at home, at work, and on the road can make a big difference.
- Postpone mowing and trimming or use electric garden equipment.
- Postpone painting or use water-based paint instead of oil-based paint.
- Replace your charcoal grill with a propane gas grill.
- Choose ENERGY STAR™ appliances and lighting.
- Cut back on heating and air conditioning when you can and turn off lights and appliances when not in use.
- Clean heating filters each month.
Employers have a unique opportunity to make a difference. They can promote programs that help employees make positive lifestyle changes. For example, employers can encourage staff to use public transportation or carpool. Employers also can give employees the option of working from home. Encourage employees to sign up for AirAlerts, a free service that delivers air quality information straight to their inbox.
On the Road
- Keep driving to a minimum.
- Fill up your gas tank during evening hours. Avoid spilling gas and “topping off” the tank. Replace gas tank cap tightly.
- Have your car tuned regularly by replacing the oil and air filter, and keep tires properly inflated and aligned.
- Carpool or use public transportation when possible.
- Combine your errands into one trip.
- Avoid revving or idling your engine.
- Avoid long drive-through lines; instead, park your car and go in.
- Looking for a new vehicle? Consider purchasing a fuel-efficient model or a hybrid that runs on an electric motor and gasoline engine.
|Clean Air Tip|
Recycle half of all household waste, including plastics, cardboard, food waste and glass containers.